View a Mobile Version of this Calendar
Every Tuesday Night there is bluegrass
at First Church of Christ Scientist
corner of Pandora and Chambers
The last Tuesday of each month from September to May is reserved for Open Stage. And on the occasional Tuesday, we will use the hall for a Special Concert.
Other than that, every Tuesday night is Jam Night, all year long. Players of any age or ability are welcome to attend. Listeners too.
Jam Night Admission:
- Players: $2 for members, $3 for non-members
- Listeners: by donation
- Volunteers who help run the jams are free
- 7:45pm Beginners Jam features slow, simple songs or tunes, allowing novice musicians to join in.
Intermediate players are welcome but their role is to support beginning players.
To look at some of the song and tune titles played at previous jams, see our Archive of Jam Tune Lists
- 8:45pm Break to socialize
- 9:00pm Intermediate Jam is a bit more challenging: the tempo may be quicker, song leadership is passed around and solos are encouraged.
The jam is meant to be inclusive, so when it’s your turn to choose we suggest you select a Bluegrass “standard”. Songs in the keys of G,A,C,D, or E work best.
This jam is usually lead by a volunteer moderator, but if there is no moderator, you need to lead your own songs - communicate with the
other musicians when it’s their turn to solo.
- 7:45pm For intermediate & advanced players, depending on who shows up. Sometimes we have a Theme Jam, where participants are expected to perform a song or tune
which meets the theme.
- Also, there are 4 cozy rooms suitable for small jams or band rehearsal, etc.
Are you a newcomer to jamming ?
Last Tuesday: Open Stage and Feature Act
On the last Tuesday of the month, from September to May, the program changes.
- 7:45pm The evening starts with an Open Stage. You should secure your performance spot in advance by contacting Jeb Gordon at 250-886-2614 or
Depending on demand, performers are allowed 1-3 songs/tunes each.
- 8:45pm Break to socialize
- 9:00pm The Feature Act is typically an invited local acoustic band who perform a one-hour set.
Admission: suggested donation $5 for members and Open Stage Performers, $7 for non-members.
A few times a year, we produce or sponsor Special Concerts featuring quality touring acoustic acts.
Most concerts are on a Tuesday night, but concerts can happen on any night of the week and at any local venue.
The emphasis is primarily, not exclusively, bluegrass.
Concert prices vary, but members always receive a discount.
Learning more about music and music-making is a big part of the VBA, so we organize Workshops.
We offer instruction on specific instruments like guitar and fiddle, and more general topics like Band Technique
and Practising Tips. Also, it is common for visiting musicians to offer a workshop or two when they are in the area.
Workshops are typically held in a private home. Fees vary, but members always receive a discount.
About Recording Audio or Video at Events
No video or audio recordings are to be made at any Victoria Bluegrass Association event,
unless specifically authorized in advance by the people being recorded.
See Recording Policy for specific details.